1) Your sponsor isn’t all that interested in the “reasons” you drank.
2) Your therapist thinks your root problem is your lack of self-esteem, negative self-image, and your poor self-concept. Your sponsor thinks your problem is a 3-letter word w/no hyphens… YOU.
3) Your therapist wants u to pamper your ‘inner child.’ Your sponsor thinks it ought to be ‘Spanked’ or ‘Taken out and Shot!’
4) Your sponsor thinks your inventory should be about you, not your parents!
5) Speaking of parents, your sponsor tells you not to confront them, but you apologize to them.
6) The only time your sponsor ever uses the word ‘closure’ is before the word ‘mouth.’
7) Your sponsor thinks “boundaries” are things you need to take or tear down, not build up.
8) Your therapist wants you to love yourself first; your sponsor wants you to love others first.
9) Your therapist prescribes care taking and medication; your sponsor prescribes prayer making and meditation.
10) Your sponsor thinks “Anger Management Skills” are Steps numbered 1-2-3…12
11) Now that you haven’t had a drink in six months, your therapist thinks you should make a list of your goals and objectives for the next five years, starting with finishing up that college degree. Your sponsor thinks you should start today by cleaning the coffeepots and helping him or her carry a heavy box of literature to the jail.
12) Your sponsor won’t lose his license to practice if he talks about God…