Psalm 119:11 says, I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. How can we hide God’s Word in our heart? I memorize Scripture to hide it in mine.
Some people insist they are too old to memorize God’s Word. They say they could when they were younger but not any more. Our memory may not function as quickly as it did when we were younger, but it still functions.
Several steps for Scripture memory have worked for me. Here are a few of them:
- Write the verse on Post-um notes and put it on your refrigerator, the bathroom mirror, the dashboard of your car, and on your desk.
- Write the passage on a 3 x 5 inch lined card in a mini spiral notebook.
- Set a timer on the hour and recite the verse to yourself.
- Get an accountability partner and say the verse to that person at least once weekly.
Follow the same steps to learn a second verse.
- Continue to review all verses you memorize.
- Take a Bible verse walk for thirty minutes daily in which you both exercise your body and review your verses.
If you learn a new verse weekly, at the end of the year you’ll have hidden fifty-two verses in your heart.
Dear God, help me memorize one verse this week. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Application: Which of these methods will you use this week to memorize one verse?