How to Become A Christian
1. Recognize that you are not a Christian because you are good, for God’s Word declares,
“There is none that doeth good, no not one.” (Romans 3:12)
2. Recognize that you are not a Christian because you are doing the best you can, for God’s Word declares,
“All have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23)
3. Recognize that you are not necessarily a Christian because you are a member of some church, for again God’s Word declares that many have
“a form of godliness, but deny the power thereof; from such turn away.” (2 Timothy 3:5)
4. Confess that you are a sinner in God’s sight, for you have broken His commandments, and all the world has become guilty before Him. (Romans 3:19)
5. Confess that you cannot save yourself, for
“by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God;” (Ephesians 2:8)
6. Confess that you are hopelessly lost and under condemnation without Jesus Christ as your personal Savior.
“for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.” (Luke 19:10).
7. Believe the Good News that Christ died for the ungodly.
“But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. ” (Romans 5:8) He therefore died for you and settled your sin debt on Calvary’s cross.
8. Believe the glorious news that Christ was raised from the dead, and by the power of God is now able to save all who come unto God by Him.
“Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.” (Hebrews 7:25)
9. Call on the name of the Lord Jesus, with a sincere desire to be saved from you sins, for God promised that
“whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” (Romans 10:13)
10. Rely on God’s sure promise, not upon your feelings, and by faith declare you are saved by the blood of Jesus Christ, shed for the forgiveness of your sins, and openly confess Him with your mouth as your Savior and Lord.
“That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” (Romans 10:9-10)
How to Live the Christian Life
1. Believe the Record that:
- Through Christ you have received eternal life
“He who believes in the Son of God has the witness in himself; he who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son. And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.” (1 John 5:10-13)
- Then by faith walk in newness of life
“Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.”(Romans 6:4)
“Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. “(1 Timothy 6:12).
- The Christian life is not an imitation of Christ, but the new, resurrection life of Christ manifested in the believer.
“He that believeth on the Son HATH everlasting life.” (John 3:36)
2. Read your Bible DAILY. Memorize certain portions that are helpful to you, especially the promises. Meditate much upon these. They will be:
- Food to your soul.
“as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby.” (1 Peter 2:2)
- Light to your pathway.
“Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path. .” (Psalm 119:105)
- Weapons to your warfare.
“And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; .” (Ephesians 6:17).
3. Pray to God as your heavenly Father daily in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Thank Him for all things. Count your blessings, and remember that
they are from God the giver. Pray for help and victory. “They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength.” (Isaiah 40:31)
4. Confess the Lord Jesus Christ frequently as your personal Savior. He has said:
“Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven” (Matthew 10:32-33)
It often requires courage to do this, but it always brings added blessing and increases your strength.
5. Avoid temptations.
- They are bound to come, but do not go in the way of them.
“Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;” (Psalm 1:1)
- Avoid evil companions and make friends of God’s people.
- Remember that you will not be tempted above that you are able to bear and there is always a way of escape through Christ.
“No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” (1 Corinthians 10:13).
- Always yield to Him and Trust Him for victory.
6. Attend a local Bible Teaching church of your choice. You will find strength in Christian fellowship!