Does what you are facing seem impossible to overcome?
Everyone in Christians in Recovery has faced temptations and obstacles that appeared to be unscaleable mountains with sheer cliffs. Everyone has felt weak, unworthy and useless.
Scripture tells us:
No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, that you may be able to endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 NASB
Below are keys to help you overcome temptation.
Resist the Devil (not your problem)
- The Bible tells us to resist the devil and he will flee from us (James 4:7). Too many make the mistake of trying to resist the temptation itself. This focuses our attention on that which we so desperately want to escape! By saying, “I will not drink, I will not drink, I will not drink….” (or eat, or lust, etc.) we reinforce those temptations that plague us.
Keep a Journal
- Use a pencil and pad to write down your thoughts. If you want something more comprehensive to help you we suggest this software
Instead of focusing on the problem, focus on the SOLUTION
- Philippians 4:8-9 tells us: Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy–meditate on these things……the God of peace will be with you.
Now glory be to God, who by his mighty power at work within us is able to do far more than we would ever dare to ask or even dream of–infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, or hopes. (Ephesians 3:20)
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11)
- Write meaningful scriptures on 3×5 cards and carry them with you. If you want something more high tech we suggest Memlok
Don’t Feel Guilty About Being Tempted
- Everyone is tempted. It is not a sin to be tempted. It is a sin to act out on your temptations and inappropriate thoughts.
God’s Word tells us:
No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)
Learn About & Work the 12 Steps
- The best way to learn about the 12 Steps is to read about them and surf our website.
Get active in the
The more you participate in your own recovery and the more you interact with others in recovery, the stronger you will be against temptations.
Get and Read a Christian Recovery Devotional
- Prayer is the most powerful tool you have. You can pray at any time and in any place.
God is ever present to hear you and strengthen you. CIR offers:
Prayer & Praise Chats
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For
every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be
opened. (Luke 11:9-10)
Learn More About Prayer
Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me.(Psalm 50:15)
Learn Your Triggers
- Make a list of the things that lead up to your being tempted (remember that journal?).
Are there certain situations, places or people that lead you into temptation. Learn what
triggers you to fall into temptation and then avoid them like the plague!
Pursue Bible Studies for Recovery
- Bible Studies for Recovery are located on our web site.
Get involved in a local Christian Face to Face Group or Meeting
- You can find one by searching our Database.
Ask God for Help & Strength
- God is there just when you need Him. Do not be embarrassed or think that He is unapproachable.
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:6