1. I will not help you stay and wallow in Limbo.
2. I will help you to grow, to become more productive, by your definition.
3. I will help you become more autonomous, more loving of yourself, more excited,
less sensitive, more free to continue becoming the authority for your own living.
4. I cannot give you dreams or “fix you up”, simply because I cannot.
5. I cannot give you growth, or grow for you. You must grow yourself,
by facing reality, grim as it may be at times.
6. I cannot take away your loneliness or pain.
7. I cannot sense your world for you, evaluate your goals for you,
or tell you what is best for you in your world, for you have your own world.
8. I cannot convince you of the crucial choice of choosing the scary uncertainty
of growing, over the safe misery of not growing.
9. I want to be with you and know you as a rich and growing friend;
yet I cannot get close to you when YOU choose not to GROW.
10. When I begin to care for you out of pity, when I begin to lose trust in you,
then I am toxic and bad, inhibiting for you, and you for me.
11. You MUST know – my helping is conditional; I will be with you,
I will hang in there with you, as long as I continue to get even the
slightest hints that you are willing and still trying to GROW.
12. If you can accept all of this, then perhaps we can help each other
to become what God meant us to be – mature adults – leaving
childishness forever to the little children.