Developing Biblical Financial Skills

“Twenty-five years ago most churches just taught people how to handle 10 percent of their income-the area of giving-and left the other 90 percent un-addressed. As a consequence, many Christians suffer financially because, by default, they adopt our culture’s perspective of handling the rest of their money.” Larry Burkett

Developing Biblical Financial Skills

Skill # 1 EARN

“In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we appeal to people, no, we command them; settle down and get to work. Earn your own living.” 2 Thess. 3:12 (NLT)

Some practical Principles of Acquisition:

    1. Be diligent
    2. Be ethical
    3. Be wise
    4. Be intentional
    5. Be careful

The best book in the Bible for reading about God’s principles of wealth is the book of Proverbs.

Skill # 2 GIVE

Give to your church and ministries of choice. They know where the needs are. They are the “storehouse.”

Skill # 3 SAVE

The purpose of saving: To be prepared for known and unknown future spending needs.

“The wise man saves for the future…” Proverbs 21:20 (LB)

“Money that comes easily disappears quickly, but money that is gathered little by little will grow.” Proverbs 13:11 (NCV)

Three types of savings:

    1. For unpredictable emergencies; an emergency fund.
    2. For predictable replacements; a replacement fund.
    3. For planned futures; this would include saving for a house of for college. Also included would be what many would call a retirement fund.

Skill # 4 REPAY

Dangerous Debt:

    Credit card debt
    Un-secured debt
    Excessive lifestyle debt

The dangers of debt are not only economic, they are also emotional, relational and spiritual.

Reasons why we get into debt:

    Lack of discipline or contentment
    Search for security or significance


“Riches can disappear fast…so watch your business interests closely. Know the state of your flocks and herds. Proverbs 27:23-24 (LB)

“Get the facts at any price!” Proverbs 23:23 (LB)

“Plan carefully and you will have plenty; if you act too quickly, you will never have enough.” proverbs 21:5 (GN)

A budget is a spending plan, it tells your money where you want it to go!

Skill # 6 ENJOY

It is better to be satisfied with what you have than to always be wanting something else. Eccl. 6:9 (GN)

Be content with what you have… Hebrews 13:5

There is one major attitude to have and one major skill to develop if you are to enjoy what God has given you.

The attitude of gratitude!


Father, I know you love me and want what’s best for me. I recognize that all I have, or will ever have comes from you. I am more interested in pleasing you than in having more possessions. I want you to have first place in my life and I am willing to begin tithing as you have commanded. Out of gratitude for all you’ve done for me, and in expectation that you will continue to provide for me, I commit myself to returning at least the first 10% of all I earn back to you. I want to begin investing for eternity. Help me to remain faithful to this commitment. In Jesus’ name, Amen.