These are indicators to help you identify verbal abuse.
1) You understand their feelings, but they never attempt to understand yours
2) They dismiss your difficulties or issues as unimportant or an overreaction
3) They do not listen to you
4) They always put their needs before yours
5) They expect you to perform tasks that you find unpleasant or humiliating
6) You “walk on eggshells” in an effort not to upset them
7) They manipulate you into feeling guilty for things that have nothing to do with you
8) They attempt to destroy any outside support you receive by belittling the people/ service/practice in an attempt to retain control over your emotions
9) They never take responsibility for hurting others
10) They blame everyone else for any unfortunate events in their lives
11) They see themselves as victims and expect preferential treatment.
If you are being abused, remember:
1. You are not alone
2. It is not your fault
3. No one ever deserves to be abused; and
4. Help is available.